I was met at the Reggio Emilia train station by Lucas and Gabriele. After a quick shower at Gabriele's place we drove over to Daniele's house where his family was having a barbeque as it was lucas' last night. It was great to catch up with old friends as the last time I had seen Gabriele was half a year ago in Australia and Daniele the same but it had been a few years. The food at this barbeque was great! We started off with different cheeses(all local) and really good quality prosciutto. As for the wine Gabriele and Daniele's fathers buy the wine by the barrel from the winery's and bottle it themselves and it taste delicious. Like many barbeques we had too much meat, a whole mix of sausages and meat cuts and everything was great quality. We ate, drank and talked until late and finished with some grappa and amazing ice cream!
The next morning we prepared Lucas as he would be departing that afternoon for Milan and then begin his travel back to Australia. Before he packed we went to buy some cheese to bring home and I also purchased some and am looking forward to eating it when I arrive back in Australia. That afternoon Lucas and I said goodbye once more and Gab and I relaxed the rest of the afternoon. That night we went into town and caught up with Gab's friends and they showed me around the different Piazzas in town and their favourite bars. We spent the next few days sleeping in late, eating good food and catching up with mates. On the Sunday Gabriele, his parents and I traveled to Lake Garda which is a couple hours north. It is beautiful there with the warm sun and bright blue water surrounded by green hills. We met some of gabriele's family including his grandparents and ate out at a restaurant for lunch. The rest of my time there was spent socializing and just eating amazing food and practicing my Italian. My time in Reggio Emilia was great and I'm so glad I got to catch up with a good friend and I hope he can make it back to Australia soon. I said goodbye to Gabriele after staying 4 nights and caught the train back to Milan. From there I flew to London and then the next morning took a flight to Boston in USA. Once in Boston I caught the bus up to the state of Maine to the city of Bangor where I was reunited with my host parents Connie and Ed!
The next morning we prepared Lucas as he would be departing that afternoon for Milan and then begin his travel back to Australia. Before he packed we went to buy some cheese to bring home and I also purchased some and am looking forward to eating it when I arrive back in Australia. That afternoon Lucas and I said goodbye once more and Gab and I relaxed the rest of the afternoon. That night we went into town and caught up with Gab's friends and they showed me around the different Piazzas in town and their favourite bars. We spent the next few days sleeping in late, eating good food and catching up with mates. On the Sunday Gabriele, his parents and I traveled to Lake Garda which is a couple hours north. It is beautiful there with the warm sun and bright blue water surrounded by green hills. We met some of gabriele's family including his grandparents and ate out at a restaurant for lunch. The rest of my time there was spent socializing and just eating amazing food and practicing my Italian. My time in Reggio Emilia was great and I'm so glad I got to catch up with a good friend and I hope he can make it back to Australia soon. I said goodbye to Gabriele after staying 4 nights and caught the train back to Milan. From there I flew to London and then the next morning took a flight to Boston in USA. Once in Boston I caught the bus up to the state of Maine to the city of Bangor where I was reunited with my host parents Connie and Ed!

That's a real beast of a BBQ.
ReplyDeleteIt sound like it was really worth it to go back to Italy to catch up with Gabriele and Daniele and get that view on life in Italy that only a local can give.