Monday, 13 August 2012

New York

I spent a day travelling to NYC and arrived exhausted at my hotel around 6pm. It was a great walk especially because it led me right through times square to my hostel which is in a great location, pretty much on the corner of 63rd West and central park west. I was up early and caught the subway downtown and got on the Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I enjoyed seeing the statue of liberty up close but I had seen it before as this is my second visit to NYC. However I was very impressed by Ellis island. Ellis island is basically a tiny island off Manhattan used to process the immigrants but holds so much history and really tells the story behind America's reputation and why it was given the name "the land of the free". After this I decided to once again visit little Italy but I was once again disappointed in the fact that china town is over running the place. Also the fact that I believe Little Italy is not as authentic as China town but more a tourist attraction. Because when you enter china town you could actually feel like you are in china and I wish I could say the same for Little Italy. That afternoon I visited ground zero and was very impressed with the memorial. The memorial is two giant cube waterfalls in the ground where the towers once stood and around the outside it has the names of the lives lost. After a full on day I headed uptown to have dinner at a restaurant recommended by Connie. It was really good apart from eating by myself. The next day I went to the high rise which is an old rail track(suspended above ground) that has been converted into a boardwalk/park and is full of art and surprises as you walk and I would defiantly suggest to anyone who visits NYC to go check it out. That afternoon I met up with Mary and her friend Elizabeth. We grabbed some pizza for dinner and then headed into Brooklyn that night for a party. It was good fun and what was even better was that overnight we stayed in Elizabeths friends apartment on Park Avenue! The next day we just hung out, ended up back in Brooklyn so the girls could catch up with a friend and then in the afternoon the three of us went our separate ways. I went back and packed and had an early night as it was an early start to fly out of JFK and back home to Perth!!!


This was the trip of a lifetime and I can not wait to get out and explore the world again!

No comments:

Post a Comment